June 2, 2011

A handmade ABC & more


Yesterday, on Children's Day I received this wonderful book that I ordered on The book depository (by the way I strongly recommend it - delivery was in time, shipping was free plus I got a lovely bookmark as a gift).
I could only ready a few pages until today, but even since the first lines (not mentioning the overall attractive design) it captivated me. If you are into crafts, a handmade artist, a freelance illustrator and a talented person whose hands are restless until you knit or decoupage something, then you will feel like it's you that wrote this book, or at least a very good friend with a bit more experience.
Kari Chapin talks about motivation and inspiration both with their ups and downs, about marketing strategies in a way that the term doesn't seem scary anymore, about tactics, success and goals all in a very personal way that touches your soul just like everything in the handmade business should be.
I'm very happy with my acquisition and I can't wait to read more, but for now here is a set of questions and matters that Kari suggests we keep in mind when we start our business. I say we should ask ourselves these questions more along the way, considering that changes are made all the time and life itself is very dynamic. Our answers will build a strong foundation for business and will help know ourselves more:
  • Why do I want to sell my crafts?
  • What are my monetary goals?
  • What does my idea of success look like? How will I know when I've achieved it?
  • Do I have enough time to devote to selling my work?
  • Do I have the tools I need at hand to begin selling what I make?
  • Do I have a support system in place for taking on this venture?
  • What are my biggest fears?
  • What excites me the most about starting a business?

3 comments:

Bo3mia said...

How cool! I also love BookDepository and I also have a copy of The Handmade Marketing - love it!

I guess it's true, we should keep in mind those questions and their answers along the way! Just so we do not lose track :P

enjoy your reading time!
Hugs

Cinnamon said...

I've read the book too and wrote a review. I found it quite useful but I must confess that I liked "Crafty Superstar" more. You should order it next time, I think it contained more practical advice.

Cristina Kittn said...

That is so cool, Cin, thaks for the suggestion it will be the next on my list; Anca you read my mind, I enjoy my reading time so much with the atmosphere and all! Hugs girls